tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 10:02:23 1998

Re: KLBC: mu'tlheghmey

>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 01:10:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: Qov <[email protected]>
>
>}<DujmeylIj mach DaQaw'>
>}
>}I'll allow Qov to do the teaching here, but in short, the Klingon sentence
>}is neither in past nor in present tense. (It's not future either.)
>
>Right.  {DujmeylIj mach DaQaw'} is perfectly translated as "you destroyed
>your little ships" or "you will destroy your little ships" or "you destroy
>your little ships"  Klingon simply doesn't have a thing you add to the verb
>to make it past or future tense, any more than English has a thing you add
>to the beginning of a verb to indicate the object.  If the time of an action
>is important, you just say the time.  {wa'Hu' DaQaw'}  - "you destroyed them
>yesterday"

Indeed.  Actually, for the line in the movie I personally would have used
"DaQaw'pu'" (or Daghorpu'), since the intent really is "you have broken
them", in the perfective.  -pu' and not -ta', since if anything there's a
half-implication that it *wasn't* what he wanted to do.  {rIntaH} might be
good too, with the implication of "look what you did and can't undo."

I'm not sure that DujHom isn't OK either, when it comes down to it: little
shiplets.  Sure, in many contexts that would mean shuttlecrafts, but in the
context at hand I think it works.

~mark

Back to archive top level