tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 21:12:50 1998

Re: KLBC: mu'tlheghmey

Hi Peter. Welcome to the list!

ghItlh Peter Qov je:

>}DujHommeyraj bIQaw'
>}"You destroyed your little ships!" (presens actually I know)
>
>Have another look at the prefix table on p. 33. You may be reading it
>incorrectly. The subject AND object of the verb must be represented in the
>prefix. You have the "you" partly right, but you say you are talking to
>"presens" -- I assume that's a typo for "persons" -- so you need the you
>(plural) prefix appropriate for third person plural object. That's {bo-},
>found in the bottom right hand corner of the chart.

If this is Lily's line to Picard in ST:FC (He chucked something at the wall
and buster a model ship display), <Da-> would be appropriate, and the <-lIj>
suffix is required for possession. This leads me to believe "presens" is
actually "present" - as in the tense of the sentense as Peter wrote it in
Klingon, rather than using "past tense" as the English did.

<DujmeylIj mach DaQaw'>

I'll allow Qov to do the teaching here, but in short, the Klingon sentence
is neither in past nor in present tense. (It's not future either.)

Qermaq

Back to archive top level