tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 15:53:08 1998

Re: KLBC: taghqa' DuSaQ

Qov wrote:
> Sorry, I got distracted.  I do that.  My plants died when I started learning
> Klingon, because I forgot to water them.  I'll try to catch up, now.
>
> At 11:22 98-01-06 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
> }Hi. I wrote this text today. Unfortunately I won't be able to study much
> }Klingon
> }the next few weeks, I have to do a lot of other work. :(
> }
> }qaStaHvIS cha' Hogh juHDaq jIHpu'.
> }I've been at home for two weeks.
>
> Not sure that perfective is correct or incorrect here.  English used
> perfective for this meaning.  French uses present.  Who knows which Klingon
> chooses.
>
> }wa'leS DuSaQDaq jIjaHnISqa'.
>
> "go to school" is an idiom in English, encompassing not just the act of
> travelling to an educational education, but also the whole idea of attending
> classes on a regular basis. This has been discussed to death in an earlier
> thread, however.

I KNEW this would come.

> }jIHvaD qaStaH DIS DuSaQ wa'maH wa'DIch.
> }It's my 11th year at school. (lit.: The 11th school-year is happening for
>  me.)
>
> Not a bad recast.  We're in very idiomatic territory here, and we simply
> don't know the Klingon idioms.  But your order is a little strange.  You
> have "year's eleventh school."  To say "school year"  or "year of school"
> you need {DuSaQ DIS}.
>
> }wejleS *France* Hol nejwI' vIjeSnISmo' Dochmey law' vIghojnIS.
> }Because I have to take part in a French test (can I use a direct object on
> }{jeS}?)in 3 days I have to learn a lot of things.
>
> The answer is "probably you can't use a direct object with {jeS}, but lots
> of people do it anyway because we need such a word so badly."  {nejwI'} is
> an interesting choice for "test."  I think I would prefer {qaD} or {tobwI'},
> but I don't really like either.  Perhaps {laHwIj Dajlu'}, and avoid having
> to have a noun at all.
>
> }qaStaHvIS loS Hogh nejwI'vam rurbogh nejwI'mey law' tu'lu'.
>
> }There will be many tests that resemble this test for four weeks. (I wanted
> to }try
> }a {-bogh}-sentence... ).
>
> Or perhaps {lutu'lu'}, just because I'm pedantic.  We've never actually seen
> {lutu'lu'} used here, where the rules say it should be.

I thought of {lutu'lu'} here, but in TKD there's that {naDev puqpu' tu'lu'}
sentence (p.43), so I thought it's maybe an exception (kind of commonly used
expression that has developed into a shorter form). It seems to be just a clipped
(or wrong?) form, however.

> }DuSaQ vImuSHa'qu' neH. ;)
> }I just looooove school. ;)
>
> I think {wejpuH} would convey your meaning better.
>
> }Qaghmey law'qu' DaSamqa'be' 'e' vItul, Qov.
>
> law'be'.
>
> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

HovqIj