tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 02:36:48 1998

Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

-----Original Message-----
From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

>On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:08:08 -0800 (PST) WestphalWz
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have one example of MO's using {nep}.  It is {nepwI' Daba'} and is
>> translated as "He is obviously lying."  Perhaps there are concepts about
>> cultural idioms here.
>
>It helps to cite where you find such a reference, especially
>since here you are claiming that "You act in the manner of a
>liar," means, "He is obviously lying."

This was from the Next Generation episode "A Matter of Honor," and was
spoken by Lieutenant Klang.  He said {nepwI' Daba'}, and the subtitle was
"He is obviously lying."

Considering that {-ba'} is in the Addendum, I feel confident that we owe
this useful suffix to Okrand's backfitting of this particular actor's line.
One wonders what he was supposed to say.

SuStel
Stardate 98034.9

Back to archive top level