tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 11 20:11:27 1998

Re: naH jajmey

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 19:55:09 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

[Good quote from Okrand on {naH} snipped]

> tevram's question got me to thinking about just how much we know about
> Klingon botany. Quite a bit more than I suspected, it turns out as I looked
> through my notes. Here is some vocabulary:
>
> naH		fruit, vegetable
> tI		vegetation
> por		leaf
> naQ		stick (possibly "branch" as well?)

Given that all other references to naQ refer to the detached
wooden rod in various states of refinement, I doubt it would
also work for "branch".

> ngem		forest, woods
> Sor		tree
> lav		shrub
> tIr		grain
> vIychorgh	plant juice, sap
> yub		husk, rind, peel, shell
> naHnagh		pit (of fruit)

Where did you find this? It is not in the word list in KGT and
without a page reference, it is a pain in the butt to have to
work through the text to find this. Ah! Page 89. It needs to go
in the "New Words" list, but I just noticed that the copy I
pulled down was abridged. It is truncated in the middle of the
listing for toDSaH. I'm offline now and can't check, but I sure
hope that ~mark didn't inadvertantly trash my file I stopped
keeping backups because I didn't want to get confused between
online and offline versions.

This could be yet another rude surprise. I don't need more rude
surprises...

> 'oQqar		tuber, root (edible only?)
> naHlet		nut(s)
> qurgh		bean(s)
>
> vIno'va' qurgh	finova beans (KCD)
> na'ran		type of fruit
> yuch		chocolate
> 'atlhqam	type of fungus
> peb'ot		a torpedo-shaped fruit
> DIghna'		digna plant (its leaves are fried)
> DayquS		dikus plant (KGT)  [What is this?]
> chal		a kind of beautiful blossoming flower (SAREK)

Again, I think it is good to give the fuller context so we can
know if there is indeed a kind of flower called {chal} or if
they were talking about a {chal} flower which could be some
perverse bi-lingual reference to a "skyflower", which is not the
same thing as calling a flower {chal}.

I read Sarek and noted the words from it that I could feel
certain about, but left out those that were too vague a
reference to depend upon in a dictionary. {chal} was apparently
one of them.

> naHjej		thistle (flower)
>
> Satlh		agriculture
> Du'		farm (n)
> yotlh		field (n)
> Du' naH		produce (n)
> naH tlhab	wild fruit & vegetables
> yob		harvest (v)
> wIj		farm (v)
> poch		plant (v)
> baQ		be fresh, just-picked
> DeH		be ripe, overripe
>
> Okrand has certainly given us quite a lot of vocabulary for this imaginary
> carnivorous race!  Have I missed any?

Well, they seem rather omnivorous.

> Voragh

charghwI'