tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 07 07:06:07 1998

Re: DIS chu' Quch

According to David Trimboli:

I definitely need to look at that section in KGT, because to
me, this looks REALLY ugly, since it essentially gives a
headless relative clause validity, assuming that the head noun
carries across the conjunction. Yuck.

> >Yeah, I wonder about this, too.  Okrand does give the impression that
> >you must use the {X-bogh N 'ej Y-bogh} form with two adjectives of
> >quality; on the other hand, I can't think of any reason why this would
> >be so.
> >
> >You can see why you can't just glom two adjectives onto a noun, eg
> >*{DIS chu' Quch}. There's no known mechanism to indicate that they're both
> >modifiers of the noun.  (In this case, it _could_ mean "the forehead
> activates
> >the year"!)  So I can understand the need to move one of the verbs into
> >a relative clause, but why would this now make the noun unable to take
> >a regular adjective anymore?
>
> My point is that although there is no stated grammar to exclude such a
> construction, I was wondering if perhaps it was "stylistically wrong," not
> grammatically wrong.  However, it turns out that it's not.  See below . . .
>
> >After all, can't you say things like {qettaHbogh loD Doy'}?  If you can't,
> >how could you use a phrase like {qettaHbogh loD 'ej Doy'bogh} as the
> >subject or object of a sentence? *{qettaHbogh loD 'ej Doy'bogh vIlegh} =
> >"I see ? who is tired and (new sentence without a verb) a running man"?

I agree that this is quite ugly.

> This IS apparently a valid way to say this.

Yuck.

> qettaHbogh loD 'ej Doy'bogh vIlegh.
> I see the running, tired man.
>
> Unless for some reason Klingon does not permit one to mix verbs of quality
> and other verbs in constructions like this, but I see no reason to believe
> THAT at all.
>
> Note that saying
>
> qettaHbogh loD Doy'bogh loD je vIlegh
>
> would apparently mean, "I see the running man and the tired man."  (Two
> men.)

Agreed.

Of course, you both ignore that you can say:

qettaH loD Doy'. vIlegh.

or

qettaH loD Doy'. loDvam vIlegh.

I'd say that LONG before I'd use that ugly double relative
clause, and I doubt Okrand would have any problem with it.

> >I'm hoping that Okrand clears this up someday and explicitly endorses
> >your idea.
>
> I've located an instance where he uses the construction we are considering:
>
> yIntaHbogh tlhIngan Soj tlhol jablu'DI'
> (Literally, "When one serves unprocessed Klingon food which is living.")
> (SkyBox card S21)
>
> Thus, the construction IS allowed.

It also looks a LOT better and is MUCH easier to understand. I
COMPLETELY endorse this construction as highly preferable to
that other mess.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98018.2

charghwI'