tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 19:03:51 1998

Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

At 16:25 98-01-05 -0800, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
}ja'pu' Qov:
}>>I'm not happy with {qanep}  for "I lie to you."  I think if anything the
}>lie
}>>not the audience is the object of the verb.
}
}ja' SuStel:
}>If {qajatlh} is valid for "I speak to you" (which we know it is), then I see
}>no reason that {qanep} does not mean "I lie to you."  It is a shortened form
}>of {SoHvaD jInep}.
}
}I *do* see a reason for this not to work.  I'm not sure {nep} can or should
}be used as a verb of saying, and I don't think {-vaD} makes sense to indicate
}the person being lied to.  "I lie for your benefit" sounds like I'm covering
}for you, not deceiving you.

I can't agree with you there.  The grammatical beneficiary of an action does
not necessarily benefit from it.  {SoHvaD joch Sojvam}. The beneficiary
receives some result of the action, beneficial or otherwise.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level