tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 09:13:11 1998

Re: KLBC: 2 suffix Type 9 in a whole sentence

At 11:21 97-12-31 -0800, edy wrote:

}I'm willing to discover a trick to use the Type 9 suffix -vIS in a whole
}sentence without breake it. I think it is a challenge to the skillers to
}translate
}the General Chang phrase:
}
}The Chancelor of the High Council is dead result of an unprovoked attack
}while he traveled to see you under a flag of truce on a mission of peace".
}(The Undiscovered country)

This is a rather long sentence for English, and I wouldn't try to say it in
one Klingon sentence.

}Remaking the sentence whithout lose the meaning I could write:
}
} "The Chancellor of High Council died under a flag of truce while he traveled
}in a mission or peace in order to see you , result of an unprovoked attack".

Actually, that sentence doesn't work in English.  The last clause isn't
sufficiently attached to the rest.  It needs to be broken up.

}I really try to find a solution, but I couldn't (yet). I tried to break the
}sentence

}qaStaHvIS rojHom

"during a truce" = "under a flag of truce" - very good

}Heghta' yejquv Qang'e' (The Chancellor
}of High Council accomplished died during the truce ).

"The *Qang* of the High Council has died"  - good, but don't use {-ta'} on
an action not undertaken deliberately.  The death was as a result of a
deliberate action, but the Qang didn't die on purpose.  {Heghpu' Qang}.

}lIleghmeH  (in order to see you (pl.) )

maj.

}roj Qu'Daq lengvIS (while he traveled on a mission of peace)

I wouldn't say you travel physically ON a mission of peace. The travel is
intended for the peace mission, so I'd use {-vaD}.  You could insert a verb
and use {-meH}, instead.  The suffix {-vIS} must always be used together
with {-taH}

roj Qu'vaD lengtaHvIS
"while travelling for a mission of peace"
or
roj Qu' ta'meH lengtaHvIS
"while travelling in order to accomplish a mission of peace."

}Result of unprovoked attack - I'll leave for you  :-))

"result of" is the same as "due to", so we're looking at {-mo'}.

}but when I try to join them the problems appear.
}
}qaStaHvIS rojHom Heghta' yejquv Qang'e' roj Qu'Daq lIleghmeH lengvIS

Remember that {-meH} clauses always precede the noun or verb they modify,
and {-Daq} locatives precede the sentence.

}Okay, most of you could say:  "you have to get and write the idea".
}It could be a bit easy to write:
}
}qaStaHvIS rojHom  Heghta' yejquv Qang.
}(While a truce was happening, the Chancellor of High Council accomplished died)

The perfective aspect you used indicates that at the time of the truce, the
Qang had already died.  You don't want that.  He died during the time of the
sentence, so use no aspect.

qaStaHvIS rojHom Hegh yejquv Qang
"The Qang died during a truce."

}qaStaHvIS roj Qu' lIleghmeH lengpu'
}(He traveled in order to see you in a mission of peace)

roj Qu'vaD lIleghmeH lengtaH
lit: "He was in the process of travelling in order to see you for a mission
of peace."

}I hope I am right, but I'm curious if there is a trick to leave this idea in
}one single sentence.

You could put it all together, but it would be as unwieldy as the English.

How about:

Heghpu' yejquv Qang.  qaStaHvIS rojHom, roj Qu'vaD lIleghmeH lengtaHvIS pay'
HIv lu'. HIvmeH pagh ta'pu'.

"The Qang is dead.  During a truce, while he was travelling to see you on a
mission of peace he was suddenly attacked.  He had done nothing to be attacked."

I've just realized that "under a flag of truce" in this case probably refers
to the one ship, not a general truce.  So change {qaStaHvIS rojHom} in each
case to something like {roj DujDaq} "on a ship of peace."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level