tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 25 13:40:14 1998

Re: 'ul

According to Steven Boozer:

> : According [Voragh]:
> :
> : Well, the OTHER mention of it is in the KGT dictionary, where
> : it is listed as "electricity".
>
> va! Too trivial to mention. I suppose I should have said explicitly "the
> only other mention of {'ul} IN ANY CONTEXT by Okrand..."

Well, I don't think the definition is all that trivial. I know
that many wanted {'ul} to be a unit of electricity, but the
definitions of the other unit-of-measure words all stated that
they were units of measure. {'ul} didn't do that. I do consider
that to be significant.

> Right. I found a better example of {law'} being used with mass nouns:
>
>      HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je
>      A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted to its
>      weapons grid and defensive systems. SP3

maj.

> I wonder if its antonym {puS} "be few, be several, be a handful" also works
> this way with mass nouns to mean "some (of), a little (of)".  Aside from
> {law'/puS} constructions, we've only seen puS used with count nouns:
>
>      pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
>      If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW
>
>      qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
>      Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. S21
>
> If so, we could say something like:
>
>      Qapchu' Hong QuQvam chu'; HoS puSqu' lo'.
>      This efficient new impulse engine uses very little energy.
>
> Or do we have to use the noun {'op} "some, an unknown or unspecified
> quantity" (KGT):
>
>      'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'
> po' puS
>      It [IKC Pagh] has... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. S7

I'd lean heavily toward assuming that {puS} does work with mass
nouns as an antonym for {law'} with {'op} representing a
quantity somewhere between these extremes, much like the
English, "a lot of", "a little of" and "some of". In this {'op}
example, we don't know if a lot of the best warriors or a few
of the best warriors are on the ship, but we DO know that SOME
of the best warriors are on that ship.

> BTW, it's interesting that we now have words for three types of energy:
> HoS, 'ul and Hong (whatever that is).  Any more?

parmaq. It's more effective than pain sticks and 'ul. Of
course, it might be considered a form of Hong. {{:)>

> : charghwI'
>
> Voragh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level