tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 23 21:36:58 1998

No Subject

lu'
ja' charghwI'

> HIvqa' veqlargh! <ngaS> vIlo'. <ngeH> vIHech. mu'ghom vIlo'be'. yabwIj
> vIlo' neH. not Qaghvetlh vIchenmoHqa'.
'ej not Qaghvetlh'e' Dachenqa'moH.
<<<

reH mu'vetlh vIQubDI' yabwIjDaq nargh <chenmoH>. wej jIyajchu'. *Okrand*vaD jabbI'ID vIngaS. bIlugh 'e' vIHar. cha' ben jImIS. DaH jImISlaw'lI'.

> tlhIngan Hol vIlo' neH. lo'laHbe' be'nalwIj.
As stated, you either mean, "I merely use the Klingon
language," or "She wants me to use the Klingon language." I
suspect you wanted to say, "I use only the Klingon language,"
or "Only I use the Klingon language." The former would be
{tlhIngan Hol neH vIlo',} while the latter would be {tlhIngan
Hol vIlo' jIH neH.}
<<<
I thought that <neH> came at the end of the sentence to mean "only, merely, or just". I just looked it up and found that is does follow the verb, but only trivializes the verb. I had meant to say the former in your response (Only I use the Klingon Language.)

You might also want to put an explicit object on {lo'laHbe'} so
it is not mistaken for the verb meaning "be worthless".
{lo'laH} can either mean "able to use" or "be valuable".
Okrand has declared that {lo'laH} is a verb unto itself and not
just the root-suffix combination. He did this so he could use
{lo'laH} as an adjective. Verbs with Type 5 suffixes on them
can't be used as adjectives, so {lo'laH} had to acquire a new
meaning as a root verb unto itself before Okrand could use it
in this way.
<<<
Is the context not enough? In conversation, I would think that I would understand this. (Of course, I wrote this, so I know what I intended.) What about changing the suffix order to <lo'be'laH>? Never mind. As I wrote it, I immediately hated the way it looked and sounded. toH, jIQochbe'.

BTW, I have posted a question about <chenmoH> to the news group for Dr. Okrand. I know that this word has been discussed before, but I would still like to see if he has any comments. I don't recall his input on the issue. I had gotten this wrong on the postal course also.

> not jabbI'ID ngeHbogh nuv DaSovlaH.
It is slightly better form to disambiguate the head noun of
your relative clause with {-'e'}. Is it the message or the
person you can never know? As stated, it could be either.
<<<
This still confuses me. Which noun gets the <'e'>? I tried to follow the discussions before, but got lost in the length of the replies.

> nuv DaSovchu' DatIchpa'.
This is grammatically correct. As a style point that I seem
uniquely sensitive to, I prefer {DatIchpa'} to come first. Time
stamps simply come at the beginning of Klingon sentences and
this clause is a time reference for {DaSovchu'}. Meanwhile,
Okrand says your word order is perfectly acceptable.
<<<
maQoch, qay'be'. I don't see this as a real timestamp, just a sequence. I understand your point though.

Meanwhile, in terms of content, vaj not vay' vISovlaHchu'mo' not
jItIchlaH 'ej not vISovlu'chu'mo' not mutIchlaH vay'.
But if no one knows me, does that mean I should not be insulted?
ghobe'. <-chu'> means so much more than I wanted the english to say. (I really like the precision of Klingon!) Of course, I wanted to convey that you should know with whom you're communicating with before you start <mu'qaD veS>. Some people don't know how to handle this and if they get into the situation accidentally... well that's how wars start {{{;-). How would you convey this meaning?

SI'IluD
wa'Hu' jhIboghbe'

Back to archive top level