tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 17 19:39:50 1998

Re: Doubts in some words

ghItlh voragh
>We also have {tlho'} "thank," although you'll rarely hear anyone using it.
>To paraphrase Worf in CK: being a Klingon means never having to say you're
>sorry!

I like to translate {tlho'} as "to be grateful to", if you go by similarity
of usage.  Wasn't {tlho'} as anoun listed as "gratitude, appreciation"?  I
think {tlho'} is used in the same circumstances as we say "be grateful to".
 Some people, I know, use {qatlho'} for "Thank you"; I remember the first
reporter who came at the qep'a' loSDIch left saying something like
{kaklo'!}.

A side point:  I've noticed that some Star Trek people who have gotten down
the uniqueness of the {tlh} sound pronounce it slightly differently,
something like {klh}.  It can expel just as much saliva and sounds somewhat
the same, but the tongue is in the position for the English "k" not "t".  I
think the Klingon in the opening dialogue of PK did it.  Gowron might have
too, but I'm not sure.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level