tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 20:37:11 1998

chay' jIghojmoH?

I'm considering organizing a qepHom in my area. The people I'm going to be
asking to participate at first are people I know have little or no knowledge
of Klingon. Therefore I'll need to introduce them to the language. I've been
collecting bits of things I've seen on the list which I thought might help me
with this task, including Qov's qep'a' wordlist which we went over at the
Philadelphia qepHom and peHruS's <yargh lut>. I figure the first thing I'll
need to show them is how to produce Klingon's non-English sounds, like <tlh>,
<D>, etc.  I thought I would teach the sounds and then have a little
review/brush-up session briefly at the start of each meeting. I don't want to
bug folks about pronunciation all the time, but neither do I want to have them
learn something wrong. I know from experience that learning something wrong
and then having to "unlearn" it and learn it properly is both difficult and a
pain in the butt. (Especially guitar techinique. Oy.)

This is something which may not take place for a while .. I'm hoping to have
something to report by the time of the qep'a' this year, though. If I'm going
to do this, though, I figured I'd better get my rear in gear and start asking
about it. (lumbe' tlhInganpu', 'ach Do'Ha', tera'ngan lumwI' je jIH.) I know
David Barron did a thinger about teaching Klingon at qep'a' wejDIch, but I
unfortunately didn't get to see his presentation.

Thanks much in advance for comments and advice or what-have-you!

Sydney!
a.k.a. Lt. Cdr. Sarah Barrows, Starfleet
"You know, we're all descended from fish. It would be no trouble at all to
blip back in time, find the fish you descended from, and stuff it into a
cuissinart."
- Egon Spengler, The Real Ghostbusters

Back to archive top level