tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 03:04:24 1998

definitive noun suffix -na'

    Greetings!

    Let's see the CK following exemple:
"- I need to find A doctor"    "Qel vISamnIS".

In this exemple, I want to find any sort of doctor because there
is nothing especifing what doctor I need. But if I want to
say: I need to find THE doctor, I need to find an especific doctor.
In this case I can say:  "Qelna' vISamnIS"

Using other exemple.  A person enter in a school and say:
"- I want to talk with a teacher".  "ghojmoHwI' vIjatlh vIneH."
 Any teacher will serve for the propouse of the person because
she didn't especify what sort of teacher she wants to talk but if she say:
"- I want to talk with THE teacher",   "ghojmoHwI'na' vIjalth vIneH"
it means that she know exatly the teacher she wants to talk or the
school has only 1 teacher. It can sound strange, but I didn't see
anyone saying: "- where is A captain". Off course there is only 1
captain managing the ship.  In this case we just say:
nuqDaq ghaH HoD'e'  or nuqDaq HoD.  But if you are searching
for an especific crew member, you could say: nuqDaq ghaH beqna''e'.

Edy

Back to archive top level