tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 19:29:06 1998

Re: introduction

At 11:24 98-02-12 -0800, Doneq wrote:
}ghItlh William H. Martin
}
}[pe']
}
}> This is why I challenge your statement that "no English
}> speaking person will be able to notice the difference between
}> the Dutch words {keuken} and {kuiken}, but percieve both as
}> {koiken} (in Dutch phonetic)." Likely this is true for the vast
}> majority of English speakers, but also likely I would be able
}> to perceive and repeat the difference, though I am an English
}> speaker.
}
}Then, what is your problem with my "r" being pronounced in the back
}of my mouth, instead of in front with the tip of my tongue?

While distinguiishing between sounds is important, so is using the correct
sounds.  You could, after all, use a g for gh and a s for r and they would
be perfectly distinguishable by everyone, but they wouldn't be correct Klingon.

Whether or not the Dutch sounds match the Klingon ones I will leave to the
trilingual Dutch-Klingon-English speakers.  Let Okrand's descriptions and
the tapes be your measuring stick.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level