tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 10 07:08:55 1998

Re: Question

According to Scott D. Randel:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:46:46 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>
> >Kor'Tok vestai-DevwI'nesh ([email protected]) wrote:
> >> Im need to know what or if IKV is used when speaking the name of a
> >> vessell, ie IKV Bortas?
> >
> >This isn't actually a question about tlhIngan Hol, seeing as IKV
>
> How about this: How are the names of letters pronounced?  For example,
> to recite the alphabet in English, I say "ay, bee, see, dee...;" in
> Germen it's "ah, bay, say, day..."  Would it be "ba, cha, Da...," or
> "bey, chey, Dey...," or something entirely different?  Do the letters
> even have names?  I suspect there is no canon regarding this, unless
> it's in HolQeD somewhere.

We don't know. Okrand has said nothing about it. One person
suggested that we use common words which begin with each of the
letters (in the, "Able, Baker, Charlie" and "Alpha, Bravo,
Charlie" military traditions) while I came up with
monosyllables which had no words assigned to them ('al, ba,
chaD...). Some of the ones I came up with are now words, so a
list I would make now would be different.

Different people liked different ideas. No conclusions were
achieved. I doubt Okrand will ever rule on this because of the
Okuda issue. Okrand would say that the romanizations are not
necessarily related to any internal alphabet for native
speakers. They are just romanizations of a phonetic alphabet
made up by linguists studying Klingon. We don't understand the
Klingon writing system.

> Scott D. Randel
> tera'ngan thlIngan Hol ghojwI'

charghwI'