tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 09 22:10:10 1998

Re: {'IH jaj} (was Re: muD Dotlh)

In a message dated 98-02-10 00:34:25 EST, ghunchu'wI' writes:

<< ja' peHruS:
 >For the experts on this listserv:  How do we feel about 'IH jaj?  Can the
day,
 >which just might be a time word, be beautiful?  If so, it is poetic.

 {jaj} means "day".  It specifically refers to the time between one dawn and
 the next.  What about that suggests to you that it can't be beautiful?  I'm
 perfectly comfortable ascribing beauty to a day, or to a twilight, or to an
 hour in the middle of my day.

 Power Klingon gives {'IH jaj, qar'a'} as grammatically correct but socially
 inappropriate in the context of a business transaction.

 >Elsewise, I suggest, e.g., DaHjaj 'IH chal.

 That focuses attention on the sky, where {'IH jaj} focuses on the period of
 time.  They don't say the same thing to me.

-----tlhIj peHruS-----
CK PK je vIghajbe'mo' veglarghpu' vIghajba'
DaQIjchu'mo' qatlho'

Back to archive top level