tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 09 21:27:58 1998

Re: KLBC: equally beautiful

In a message dated 98-02-09 14:17:00 EST, charghwI' writes:

<< > Your pot is as big as a water keg.
 > 'unlIj tIn law' bIQ qegh tIn puS is okay for "bigger than".
 > I want to express that they are the same size, or at least approximately
the
 > same size.
 >
 > If this were allowed:  'unlIj tIn law' bIQ qegh tIn rap/nIb, I'd use it.
But,
 > MO has never used such a construction, right?
 >
 > I await your way of expressing "just as --------- as".
 >
 > peHruS

 The one thing Okrand has expressed to us for this would be
 something like:

 tIn 'unlIj. bIQ qegh rur.

 Other inventive castings are available:

 'unlIj tebmeH bIQ qegh taS poQlu'.

 vay' ngaSlaHmeH rap qegh 'unlIj je. >>
------peHruS is still trying to express
equivalency of state/quality, not a simile-----

I had already thought about the simile construction.  I like it for the
concepts it covers.  But, I wish to express that one thing's quality is just
as much as another's.

The column is the same height as that building.
That is, The column is just as tall as that building, no more, no less.
It is not similar to that building.  Its height equal to the height of the
building.

I am happy with the simile construction.  I now want to compare/equate stative
verb qualities more precisely.  Even though it is the idea of a KLI member, I
hope MO comes up with the same idea later:  tut jen law' qachvetlh jen nIb.

pItlh     peHruS

Back to archive top level