tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 09 10:43:40 1998

Re: equally beautiful

I get the feeling peHruS is disguising this as KLBC to try to "catch" Qov.
I feel truly compelled to answer this, because I think peHruS is treading on
very thin ice here.  Please forgive me if I have overstepped the boundaries
of protocol.  (Perhaps by the time I upload this to my e-mail account, Qov
will already have responded . . .)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, February 09, 1998 3:00 AM
Subject: KLBC: equally beautiful

>I have been struggling some with the following concept:
>
>Your pot is as big as a water keg.
>'unlIj tIn law' bIQ qegh tIn puS is okay for "bigger than".
>I want to express that they are the same size, or at least approximately
the
>same size.

wa' tlho'ren muq 'unlIj.  wa' tlho'ren muq bIQ bal.  (A {qegh} is used to
store liquor, not water.)
or
wa' tlho'ren muq bIQ bal; rur 'unlIj.

(A {tho'ren}, Okrand tells us, is around a liter or so.)

Oh, you don't actually want to specify exactly how big they are?  (A Klingon
may be inaccurate, but . . .)  Hey, I can deal with that.

tIn bIQ bal; rur 'unlIj.
or
mach bIQ bal; rur 'unlIj.

What, you don't actually have any idea how big they are, but they hold the
same amount?  Shucks, no problem!

bIQ balvo' 'unlIjDaq bIQ qanglu'chugh teblu'chu'.

Anything else?

>If this were allowed:  'unlIj tIn law' bIQ qegh tIn rap/nIb, I'd use it.
But,
>MO has never used such a construction, right?

Absolutely right.  He has never used anything like it.  Let's just sweep
that under the rug, shall we?

>I await your way of expressing "just as --------- as".

Alas, there is no such beastie.  You've got to construct a new sentence each
and every time.  The universe can be a hard place.

SuStel
Stardate 98110.0

Back to archive top level