tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 08 20:50:09 1998

Re: KLBC: Re: qechmey vIHutlh

charghwI'vo':

Just catching another detail or two:

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998 21:32:30 -0800 (PST) Qov <[email protected]>
wrote:
> At 13:25 98-02-02 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
> }> vaghleS jIHvaD tetlhvamDaq jar wejDIch rInpu'.

As stated, this means something like, "Five days from now, he
will have been finished the third month at this list for me." I
suspect you scrambled your word order and you wanted to say:

vaghleS jIHvaD tetlhvamDaq rInpu' jar wejDIch.

You meant to say that the third month will be finished. {rIn}
doesn't seem like a transitive verb to me. [be accomplished,
finished]. You might also choose to cast it in such a way that
you claim a more active part of the process:

vaghleS qaStaHvIS wej jar naQ tetlhvamvaD jIjeSta'.

"Five days from now, while three entire months happened, I will
have accomplished participating for the benefit of this list."

I like {tetlhvamvaD} a lot better than {telthvamDaq}. The list
is not really a location so much as it is an entity with which
you wish to engage for mutual benefit.

Qov writes:
> I see as I work through this that I'm correcting {'e'} many times.  I'll go
> over the one valid use for {'e'}.  It has NO other uses.

> {yaDDu'wIj Dachop 'e' vItIv} "I enjoy it when you bite my toes."

chonajqa'moH...

> }>  toH...
> }> nuq ngaS lut? 'e' qay'qu'.
>
> This is a misuse of {'e'}...

Yes. Consider:

qay'qu' lut ngoQ.

I'm not trying to do your work for you here. I'm trying to offer
castings of your meaning that you likely would not have thought
of so you may see them and begin to think more like this as you
do more of your own translations. Qov gives you good nudges with
the focus being on making the smallest modifications to what you
have already written in order to make it correct. I seek to
augment that by offering you an unrelated approach that you
might find refreshing. The combination may bring you a better
net understanding of this language than either approach alone.

That's my intent, anyway.

> }> vaj yInwIj lut DajHa' neH vIghItlh.
>
> This one isn't in TKD, only HolQeD, but {qon} is a much better word than
> {ghItlh} here.  {ghItlh} is just the act of making marks.  {qon} is the
> actual intellectual effort, and is the correct word to use for the combined
> process of thinking and making the marks.

You might consider {qetlh} or {Dal} instead of {DajHa'}. Since
these words exist, I'd be tempted to expect you were reaching
for some OTHER meaning; to interpret the {-Ha'} to mean "wrongly
or badly interesting" rather than the opposite of interesting,
much in the way {yajHa'} is different from {yajbe'}.

> }> jIroppu'mo' tlhIngan QInmey vIlaDlaHchu'be'. DaH vIlaDmeH nI' QIn tetlh.
>
> {-meH} isn't quite the right construction to represent this idea.  You're
> saying that the purpose of the list's length is your reading it.  The list
> isn't long for that purpose.

Ooooo. Good call, Qov. This is a common error which is very easy
to miss.

> Try:
>
> {DaH QIn law' vIlaDnIS} - "Now I have to read a lot of messages."
> or
> {DaH nI' QIn tetlh} = "Now the list of messages is long."

or, to contain both of these meanings:

DaH nI' QIn telth vIlaDnISbogh.

"Now the message list that I must read is long." Given the
wording in TKD, you might be less confused if you replace the
word "that" with "which" but it is actually better English
grammar to use "that" here.

> }> jIropchugh wa' ngoD QaQ neH tu'lu': DuSaQDaq jIjaHnISbe'. 'ach DuSaQDaq
> }> jIjaHnISqa'DI' Dochmey law' vIHutlhbogh vIghojnIS. 'e' QaQbe' je.
>
> {'e'} problem again.

You don't need {'e'} at all: QaQbe' ghu'vam. The word {ghu'} is
your friend. Know it well. {wanI'} is also a very useful word in
settings like this.

> }> lutvam
> }>  taHmoH
> }> jIHvaD 'e' ngeDHa'.
>
> Again you've tried to put the subject of a verb into an SAO construction.
> No can do.

lutvam vItaHmoH vIneH 'ach Qatlh Qu'vam. "I want to continue
this story, but the task is difficult." I think you reach for
the suffix {-Ha'} prematurely without seeking better vocabulary
choices. We need {-Ha'} to cover the many verbs we don't have,
but using it to create a synonym for an existing word feels odd
to me.
> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'