tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 12:37:16 1998

Re: Letter sounds question

ghItlh tevram:

>I know that in Klingon, the S is frequently referred to as making the "sh"
>sound. Is this a "true" english "sh" or is it more like a chinese "x"?
>
>For instance, is the pronunciation of \Sa\ more like "sha" or "xa" in
chinese?

I don't know Chinese pronunciation, but I think of <S> like this: English
\sh\ is produced with air through the teeth, not air between hard palate and
tongue as \s\ is. (Hold a \sh\ and shove your tongue into the works. You'll
get an \s\ eventually.)

<S> is like an \s\ but the tongue just goes farther back on the hard palate,
right up the 'hill' to the high part of the oral cavity. It might sound
similar to \sh\ but it is produced quite differently.

bIyaj'a'?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level