tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 00:46:33 1998

Re: KLBC: RB Illusions

At 06:38 98-02-02 -0800, edy wrote:

}mulughmoH Qov
}
}>}wa' peng vagh negh HoHchu'pu'
}>
}>You've forgotten OVS?  Fix this.
}
}wa' peng vagh negh HoHchu'pu' ghaH  (?)
}(This was the second choice and I didn't know if it could work)

This says "He finished off one torpedo's five soldiers."

I'm not sure how you expected it to work.  It doesn't.

}>}>He finished five soldiers with one torpedo.
}
}>Justify using {-pu'} here.
}
}    If he used 1 torpedo in order to kill someone, we don't know
}if the death of the others was intentional or not.

The choice of -pu' vs. -ta' is not the issue.  Why did you choose the
perfective at all?  The English I gave does not carry a perfective meaning.
PERFECTIVE IS NOT PAST TENSE. Do not automatically stick in perfective in
some desperate and misguided attempt to distingush between "he finishes" and
"he finished." It DOES NOT work that way.  There is NO difference between
the Klingon translation of "He finished" and "He finishes."  If you saw
reason to use perfective here, explain it.  If you didn't, STOP IT!

}>}HoqvaD vagh qoq chu' chenmoHta'
}>}>He finished five new robots for the expedition.
}>
}>mujbe'.
}>Why did you use the perfective?  Justify it.
}
}    If a scientist is contract to build a robotic for
}the expedition, he knows exatly what he is doing. He has
}a goal and work to accomplish it.

Had the English carried a perfective meaning, {-ta'} would be the correct
translation for it.  There was no such meaning. Omit the perfective.

}    wa'maH mu'tlheghmey chu' chonob'a'  ;-))

Look through the vocabulary and find ten nouns and ten verbs that you don't
know by heart.  Use them in sentences that demonstrate each of the type-9
verb suffixes.

If anyone is looking for sentences but this one sounds a bit too hard for
you (V9s can be tricky), do the same thing with V1, V2 and V6 suffixes.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level