tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 21:35:06 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

edy jang Qov:
>}'IHqu' vutpa'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e'
>}[The girl in the kitchen is very beautiful]
>
>Uh uh.  You may not break up the OVS with a noun that is no part of it.  Get
>your {-Daq} to the front of the sentence.
>
>{vutpa'Daq be'Hom 'IHqu' tu'lu'} There is a very beautiful girl in the
>kitchen.

It looks like edy might just be missing a {-bogh} in his sentence.
{'IHqu' vutpa'Daq ghaHtaHbogh be'Hom'e'} matches his English translation.
Unfortunately, this has that ugly and sour-tasting {-Daq ghaHbogh} in it.

>}'IHqu' vutpa'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e' 'e' wIQochbe'
>}[We agree that the girl in the kitchen is very beautiful]
>
>If the sentence were correct you could append {'e' wIQochbe'} to say we
>agreed on it.
>
>}jot vutpa' 'IHqu'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e'
>}[The girl in the very beautiful kitchen is calm]

A missing {-bogh} here too: {jot vutpa' 'IHqu'Daq ghaHtaHbogh be'Hom'e'}

If this is indeed what edy meant, then it's partially a problem with the
phrase "the girl in the kitchen."  It can be more completely stated as
"the girl who is in the kitchen," which is how the Klingon grammar goes.

Qov continues:
>I don't like relative clauses with pronoun as to be.  I am intrigued by the
>various suggestions of what to do with {-Daq} on relative clauses, but I
>accept none of them as material I can put in a KLBC.  All I can say when you
>do both at once is: Qo'!

I agree that a pronoun with a {-bogh} suffix is a bit contrived.  They
usually don't pop up unless someone is trying to translate an existing
sentence into Klingon, and they can usually be dismissed with a little
creative rephrasing of the idea.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level