tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 19:25:25 1998

Re: WORDS (ridges etc)

ja' qe'San:
>I should have started this with KLBC but I was more interested in a
>quick reply.
>
>Hi is there a word for ridge (n) or be ridged (v) as in :
>
>"A Klingon is proud of his ridges"
>
>"A Klingon forehead is ridged"

That would be like saying "A kitchen stove is a stove in the kitchen"
when there's a specific word for "kitchen stove" and none for "stove"
in general.  Of *course* a Klingon forehead is ridged -- how could it
be otherwise?  That's what all the various words for "forehead" mean:
{Quch, 'aQlo', no''och, Huy'Dung...}

(Well, Klingons *did* change their appearance for a while, but that's
not discussed with outsiders.)

>Or do we have to use such inappropriate non-complete constructions as
>NOT SMOOTH (Yes I realise the first could just be, "A Klingon is proud
>of his forehead" but I only put it in as an example).

How is "not smooth" non-complete?  You might also consider {ghegh}.

>Before I sign off does anyone know of a word for 'mirror' as in the
>object, 'mirror' as in mirror image, 'reflect' as in what a mirror
>does to light and no it's not deflect.

"Mirror" is one of the two missing words I keep stumbling over.  (The
other is "curtain", strangely.)  I like to think that the word {jIH}
might be useful to translate this idea.

>...Having said that I
>know there is a word for photon but is there a word for 'light'.

There's no simple noun meaning "brightness", but the concept can be
expressed in many ways without one.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level