tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 15:22:18 1998

Re: KLBC: qaD Hogh

ghItlh Qov

> }DuSaQDaq qaDmey law' vISIQ 'e' poQ
> }DuSaQ.
>
> I would have said {net poQ} instead of {'e' poQ DuSaQ} just because the one
> that requires you to take the tests isn't all that definite.  Is it the
> school?  The law?  Your desire for success?  Your parents?  Not a grammar
> point, just a style point. "I am required to take many tests in school" as
> opposed to "The school requires me to take many tests in school."

Well, actually you're right, I guess. They all require that I do it.

> }Hoch jaj wa' cha' wej joq qaD vISIQnIS. vaj, Hoch jaj wa' cha'
> }wej joq qaDvaD vIqeqnIS. vaj tlhIngan Hol vIqeqnIS je 'e' vIQub.
> }DaHjaj wa' qaDvaD neH vIqeqnIS, 'ej Qatlhbe' qaDvam.
>
> It took me two readings to understand {wa' cha' wej je} but I can't argue
> against it.  Numbers are used as nouns.

Maybe it would be clearer if I said {wa' qaD cha' qaD wej qaD joq}
but I'm so used to say 'one, two or three' that I didn't really think
about it.

> }DaHjaj qaStaHvIS vagh rep wej qaD vISIQta'. (nI' cha' qaD:
> }qaDmeyvam vISIQmeH qaS cha' rep.) wa'Hu' *Dutch* Hol qaD vISIQ.
> }qaDvam vISIQmeH qaS cha' rep je. 'ach reH nI'be' *Dutch* Hol qaD
> }Hogh qaDmey. qaSmeH wa' rep nI'qu'. qaSmeH cha' rep nI'be'qu'bej.
> }qaSDI' wa' vI' wa'maH motlh rep qaD vIta'ta'. munuQ.
>
> majQa'.

Maybe not. I think I've swapped {motlh} and {rep} in the last
sentence.

> }Yesterday I had to make a Dutch test.
>
> The only grammar point I get to make is in your English.  English speakers
> "write" "take" "sit" or sometime "do" tests.  We don't "make" them.

Hmm... There may be something to do for my English teacher at that
idiom/expressions point... In Dutch we "make" them. "Do" is quite
ridiculous in this context, and so does "sit".

However, maybe the teacher can "make" a test... :)

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

/Doneq
______