tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 09:17:21 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

Despite the example of {SepmeyDaq luSovbe'lu'bogh}, I'd like to
comment on charghwI's sentence below...

> If we use the Type 5 "postposition" idea and combine it with
> Krankor's use of {-'e'} to disambiguate, we can have these
> different meanings more clearly stated:
>
> qachDaq Sopbogh HoD puq vIlegh.
>
> I saw the captain's child who ate in the restaurant.

Rather: "I saw the child of the captain who ate in the restaurant.", yes?

Could it be disambiguated by

?{qachDaq Sopbogh HoD'e' puq vIlegh}
(it's the captain who ate in the restaurant)

{qachDaq Sopbogh HoD puq'e' vIlegh}
(it's the child who ate in the restaurant

or is the first one forbidden, because {-'e'}, being a type
5 noun suffix (or whatever), cannot appear "inside" a noun-
noun construction and the relative clause as a whole functions
as the N1 in N1-N2?

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]