tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 02:13:36 1998

Speaking Spirits

>|I believe I remember seeing MO say that qa' do speak.
>|I'm still trying to recall where I saw that.
>|
>|DloraH
>
>KGT p. 117:
>
>    ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
>    when spirits escape from Gre'thor
>
>MO says in the discussion: "Note that the word for 'spirit,' {qa'}, takes
>the plural sluffix {-pu'}, which is used for beings capable of using
>language. Spirits do speak."
>
>Voragh

Just because something can speak it doesn't have to.  -pu' is a suffix
for a being 'capable' of using language.

Although, when a person gets a vision of a dead ancestor by looking into
a flaming prayer pit he/she is supposed to receive a relevant message
from that ancestor. So spirits do speak.

bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj

qelayn
--
m109