tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 01:20:44 1998

No Subject

When it comes to ranting about vocabulary I have the credentials.

> I've been reading over the recent posts and came to the conclusion,
> that my vocabulary list is way outdated, and I neither have the
> time to compile one, nor don't want to have one, since I can only
> keep up with this list and the language if i have a fast means to
> look up my vocabulary thus... *8)

Not true.  (Here goes the rant).  Better to NOT have a quick means to
keep up with the vocabulary.  better to see the same unknown word
five times, and have it clawing at your mind, obscuring the meaning
of the whole post because YOU don't know it.  Better to go back
later, remebering this word and maybe having a guess from context and
finally discover what it means.  When you study natural languages you
don't have the complete vocabulary list.  You have a learners'
dictionary and a bunch of material you struggle to comprehend.  I
learned Klingon to a reasonable conversational level with just TKD.
1st edition (bought the 2nd edition shortly before qep'a' wa'DIch).
I had to squint a bit to understand postings with {-jaj} in them -- I
think I guessed it had something to do with intentions -- and I just
picked up the new words from context.  Extra vocabulary is nice, but
knowing TKD 1st edition and all the grammar, cold, will get you
further than not knowing it and having the most up-to-date word list
known to tlhIngankind.

> Is there anybody around who can send me a plain text list (or any
> other format) with vocabulary which is up to date (or even divided
> into sections)?

This falls under the category of activities prohibited by law with
respect to redistribution of a copyrighted work.  It is NOT necessary
that a person charge for or otherwise benefit from copying
copyrighted material.  You copy it without a licence and you break
the law.

> And no, please don't send me suggestions to compile
> my own, I don't have the time to do that right now :)

So memorize it once and for all and throw away the damn lists.  I
won't mention which skilled but wordlist dependent Klingonist was
whining helplessly the night at qep'a' that a bunch of us went out
for a walk ... in the DARK ... rendering printed material unusable.
(Yeah I know you've got a LIGHT on your Palm Pilots, guys.) Heh heh
we should go back tothe hotel that had a swimming pool, putting paper
and computers out of action. :)

Token non-antagonistic comment: if you just want to translate posts,
consider {pojwI'} or {muHaqwI'}.  Popular programs but I can't
say much about them because I've never used them.

Also, ter'eS should be coming out with the updated KLIFLASH any time
now.  (Hint hint.)  Great vocabulary list program.  Not a look-up
tool, but really good for testing yourself to see how fast you can
get the vocabulary.  (Feature requests, ter'eS: an optional timer,
user-defined subject lists, and the ability to tell the program you
want it to consider you got a word wrong, even if you got it right,
to let you have more practice on a word you don't know well.)

Back to archive top level