tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 21:56:12 1998

Re: KLBC-Practice, practice, practice

At 20:06 98-02-01 -0800, paqngevwI' wrote:
}Qov jang paqngevwI':
}
}I will learn Klingon.
}        tlhIngan-Hol vIghoj.

The hyphen in the name of this listserv is there because the software
doesn't accept spaces in list names.  The name of the language is {tlhIngan
Hol}.  No hyphen.

}These sentences are easy.
}        mu'tlheghmeyvam ngeD.

The subject of a clause follows the verb.  {ngeD mu'tlheghmeyvam}

}The blue starship attacked the red planet.
}        yuQ Doq HIvta' 'ejDo' SuD.

No reason to use the perfective here, any more than there was to use it on
the sentence in English future tense.  Simply {HIv} for "attacked."  When we
say Klingon has no past tense, we mean it.

}The red planet exploded.
}        jorpu' yuQ Doq.

Same comment re perfective.

}The happy scientists use their important paraphenalia.
}        luchchaj potlh lulo' tejpu' Quch.

{luch} is equipment.  paraphernalia is {'aH}.  Probably an irrelevant
difference here, but that was the word I used.

Try some sentences of your own, now.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level