tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 21:55:57 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

At 22:03 98-01-31 -0800, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
}ja' Qov:
}>I'll kind of like it, actually.  He obviously sings "rain".  ghunchu'wI'
}>will get it.
}
}She commands.  She does it again, then yet again.

ra' ra' ra'!

}Yes, I get it.  I surprised myself by not disliking it much, either.
}Which got me to thinking about *why* this sort of thing doesn't hit
}me as badly as Lawrence's {qo'vaD roj/DIngpu'bogh naH} translingual
}pun.  I think it's because the other "words" in this case are just
}nonsense syllables, and only half as much translation is involved.

I think it's because there is one possible translation, and as soon as you
put it through into the other language the sounds emerge.  It's like the
song we were trying to get to work at loSDIch, DaraQ was the other person I
think.

ro' ro' ro' yIbot!
DIjonlI'.  <vay'> <vay'> <vay'>
marI'lI' marI'lI' marI'lI' marI'lI'
lay'. vIjuSta'. rIn.

We never got it to work.  I saw a great one once, where you read aloud a few
lines of vaguely linked words in French, frowning and trying to figure out
the meaning, while the people around you laughed because the result sounded
just like a person with a strong French accent reciting Humpty Dumpty.  I
think it started, "un petit, deux petit, c'est un ..."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level