tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 20:08:07 1998

Re: KLBC: RB Illusions

ja' edy:
>>I'm not sure if the guards arrested the protesters.
>morghwI'pu' qop 'avwI' 'e' vISovbejbe'

I usually complain about the inappropriate use of perfective.  In this
case, though, I think {qop} needs a {-pu'} on it to make this meaning
clear.  As it is, it looks like a statement of the guards' duties:

"I'm not certain that guards arrest protesters."

Saying {morghwI'pu' qoppu' 'avwI'pu' 'e' vISovbejbe'} makes it more
obvious that it's a specific action that the guards did or did not do,
as opposed to whether or not arresting protesters is one of their tasks.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level