tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 02:21:50 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

In a message dated 98-01-31 22:45:26 EST, charghwI' presented, and Qov
debated:

<< Qe' vIje'qangboghDaq qagh wISoplaH. >>

----peHruS wonders, too----
In putonghua (the new way of saying Mandarin Chinese), this is exactly what we
do.  We put a clause-ending marker (pronounced "de", neutral tone) on any and
all clauses, adjectives, and possessives.  While TKD section 4.4 clearly
points out that the noun suffix type 5 goes on the final element of the
clause, even if that element itself is not a noun, and while this takes away
the ambiguity of allowing a locative only at the beginning of the sentence,
not the appropriate clause, I wonder how well the experts will accept it.  I
like it, too, Qov.  It is taking me a while to get used to it.  I have gotten
so accustomed to having a locative only at the beginning.

peHruS, ranting complete

Back to archive top level