tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 27 18:50:23 1998

Re: nouns with multiple characteristics

Good answer. I'll offer a minor variation. Accept it if you like
it.

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:49:43 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : How do we describe something that has two values for the same
> characteristic?...
> : For example, how would you describe a tribble that is both white
> : black (actually, part white, and part black, not a mixture, i.e., gray).
> :
> : SIHwI'
>
> Simple... use two qualities with {'ej} or {'ach}, as explained in KGT p.82 (on
> color terminology)...
>
> So, as for your piebald tribble:
>
>  chIS yIH 'ej qIj
>  The tribble is black and (it is) white.

Equal parts:
chIS yIHvam bID 'ej qIj yIHvam bID.

Not mentioning the ratio:
chIS yIHvam 'op 'ay' 'ej qIj yIHvam 'op 'ay'.

Mostly white:
chIS yIHvam HochHom 'ay' 'ach qIj yIHvam ratlhbogh 'ay'.
or
chIS yIHvam HochHom 'ay' 'ach qIj yIHvam latlh.

> Of course you would use {-bogh} to refer to them as part of a longer sentence:
>
>   loSpevDaq chISbogh yIHmeyvetlh 'ej qIjbogh lanpu' 'Iv jay'?!
>   Who the hell put those black & white tribbles in the quadrotriticale?!
>
> Hmm... that doesn't feel right.

Agreed. That sounds like some of the tribbles are all white
while others are all black.

> Should that be:
>
>   loSpevDaq chISbogh 'ej qIjbogh yIHmeyvetlh lanpu' 'Iv jay'?!

Better. This is a difficult one to be clear about, no matter
what the casting. Another weak possibility:

loSpevDaq chISbogh je yIHmeyvetlh qIj lanpu' 'Iv jay'?!

Who put those black tribbles which are also white...

> on the pattern of the {romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'} "Romulan
> hunter-killer probe" in KCD?

Good example. That example is slightly clearer since he was
talking about only one probe.

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level