tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 25 10:53:04 1998

Re: Problem Words

nuja' SuStel:

> qarbe'qu' "T-Rex."  pongqoqvam lo'pa' Michael Crichton (latlh qonwI' ghap),
>  lo' pagh.

*hyphen* lulo'chugh vaj muj,  'ach *period* *space* je lo'chugh vaj lughlaH.
roD qonDI' yIntejpu', *genus* pong lulo'ta'chugh 'ej lulo'qa'chugh, pong
lutIqHa'moH 'ej pong Degh wa' neH lughItlh.

If they use a hyphen they're wrong, but if they use a period and a space they
might be right.  In standard biological writing, a genus name that has already
been introduced in the context is abbreviated to its first letter.

For example, if we've been talking about the genus *Homo*, the human species
can be called *H. sapiens*; and if we've been discussing the genus
*Tyrannosaurus*, the animal we're referring to now can be called *T. rex*.

--jey'el

Back to archive top level