tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 16 13:40:41 1998

RE: Ordering food

lab Patrick Masterson:

> How would I write "order (of food)", as in "I want three orders of
> gagh." (Like you'd say at a restaurant to the waiter.) qagh nay' wej
> vIneH?

I think of <nay'> as a course at a meal. For example, a typical formal
(human) dinner might consist of four <nay'mey> - a salad, soup, the main
course, and dessert. As such, I don't think <nay'> is the right word here. I
would probably use <ngop> ("plates") here instead, although there are
certainly other possibilities. It is even fairly likely that Klingons phrase
this differently in different settings (e.g. fast food or an expensive
restaurant) or different regions.

Also, remember your number placement: if the number is placed before the
noun, it is a count (e.g. five phasers), but if it is placed after, it is a
label (e.g. phaser number five).

So <qagh nay' wej vIneH> means "I want ghah dish number three.", which is a
valid sentence, but not what you meant. What you want is <wej qagh ngop
vIneH> - "I want three plates of ghah."

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level