tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 13 23:04:16 1998

RE: KLBC:ghojmoH jIH

lab Ian Wilkinson:

> jIH pong Ian Wilkinson

The way possives like work in Klingon is a set of suffixes: pongwIj - my
name; pu'raj - your (plural) phasers; etc.

The way to translate the verb "to be", as in "my name is", is with a
pronoun - <'oH> in this case. The suffix <'e'> is also added to the noun
after the pronoun. "My name is Ian Wilkninson" would be <Ian Wilkinson 'oH
pongwIj'e'>.

> Sov wej tlhIngan

The <wej> goes at the beginning of the sentence. For the rest of the
sentence, you need to know the basic sentence structure - object verb
subject. You also need to place the proper prefix on the word. TKD has a
prefix table, and since the subject is first person singular, and the object
is third person singular, the prefix you want is <vI->. Finally, the Klingon
language is always referred to as <tlhIngan Hol>, and never just <tlhIngan>.

wej tlhIngan Hol vISov.

> ghaj wej TKD

Very same comments here - <wej TKD vIghaj>. If you want to spell out TKD,
its "Klingon Language Dictionary" or <tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom>.

> Qos

If you want to appologize, try <jItlhIj>. But don't appologize - learn. And
capitalize those <S>'s

> wej Sov pab chut qoj Hol chut.

<pab chut> *IS* <Hol chut> - they are the same thing. And if you get a copy
of the dictionary, you will learn.

> jIH 'Ij nI' poH

I think  you are saying "I've lurked for a long time". The "long time" is
well represented by <poH nI'>, but "for a long time" needs a little more.
"While a long time was happening" - <qaStaHvIS poH nI'> does the job. Again
with sentence order and prefixes, <jIH 'Ij> becomes <jI'Ij>.

qaStaHvIS poH nI' jI'Ij.

> vaj jatlh tlhIH

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. <jatlh tlhIH> should be <Sujatlh>,
though - you need to use a prefix on the verb, but you can drop the pronoun.

> (I would not be supprised if this is the worst
> tlhIngan you have ever seen)

No, that comes from Star Trek TV episodes {{:-(  Seriously, though, this was
not that bad. If you can get hold of a copy of the Dictionary and some
practice, you really can learn this language.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level