tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 09 10:46:17 1998

Re: Klingon Bird of Prey (KBP) poster: THE TEXT!

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:15:19 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [Judging from the lack of comment, it looks like my post didn't get propagated
> by the KLI server last evening, so I'll send it out again.  Apologies if some
> of you received two copies.  Voragh]

Yep. Two copies. So, you are expecting comments. Okay. If you
insist. {{:)>

> lu'oghta' nIylo roDIS bIl jo'rIj je
> Designed By: Nilo Rodis & Bill George

wejpuH.

> HIvtaHvIS toQDuj cha'vatlh wejmaH Soch vI' vagh chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
> Attack Formation Height: 82.75 M

Interesting that he used the explicit {'oH}. ram 'ach Daj.

> Hong boq chuyDaH: loS
> Impulse Fusion Thrusters - 4

Interesting punctuation. Holding closer to the literal
translation than he typically does. I would have expected the
number to come first.

> muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
> Atmosperic Take-Off/Landing Thursters - 6

{'eDSeHcha} is obviously a new word, the singular form and not
an implied plural, since {laQlu'} gets {lu-} in front of it. In
other words, if it were a word which implied plurality, it would
be grammatically singular and he would not have used {lu-}.

And I assume you meant "thrusters" and not "thursters". I guess
there still are some typos in there...

> pIvchem lIngwI' DaHmey: cha'
> Warp Field Generation Arrays - 2

DaH = array. Another new word. Also, {pIvchem} follows in the
footsteps of {pIvghor} and {pIvlob} and does not imply that "the
field is healthy".

> qughDo motlh: pIvlob vagh
> Normal Cruising Speed - Warp 5

Numbers follow {pIvlob}. Noted.

> 'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
> Maximum Crusing Speed - Warp 9.5

New word for "maximum".

> nIn: bIQSIp 'ugh
> Fuel - Deuterium Isotope

Heavy water gas. Apparently hydrogen. Daj.

>  jolpatmey
>  Transporter Systems

New compound of old words.

> wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
> Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man)

This discourages one from interpreting {wey} as specifying any
given number of men, unless you consider 6 to be that number. Do
six men make a "company"?

>  QeD patmey noch patmey je
>  Science and Remote Sensing Systems

He ignored the word "remote". Daj.

> chuq'a'
> long range

Good.

> jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
> High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years

Daj. I would have expected {'aqroS Qapchu'meH chuq}. I think I
just lost an argument. The "High Resolution" translation is
interesting. It sounds less digital than like effective noise
filtering.

> jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
> Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years

{pupHa'} looks especially strange, but well within his right to
choose.

>  ya patmey
>  Tactical Systems

Similar to the term {tlhIngan Hol} in nature.

> nISwI' talmey: cha' (telDaq lujomlu')
> Disruptor Cannon - (Wing Mounted)

New word alert. We now have canon for cannon. {{:)>

> nISwI': cha' chang'engmey (telDaq lujomlu', nItebHa' lubaHlu')
> Disruptor - 2 Pairs (Wing Mounted, Fire Linked)

Is that a new word for "pair", or a new word for something else
that in this instance gets translated as "pair"? No way to know
yet. Note first use of {nItebHa'}. And no, it doesn't mean,
"They unfill you," although if you had a pair of THESE suckers
pointed at you, you might very well become unfilled in a
sense... But that just depends upon your particular variation on
the startle response.

>  Qum patmey
>  Communications Systems

Before I concede losing ANOTHER argument, I'll point out that
this looks a whole lot like an abbridged {QummeH patmey} to me.
When it is a technical term hanging in space like this, it is
not really possible to know if this is a generic nominal use of
{Qum} or if it is simply part of a fossilized name (kept as a
separate word, at least).

> Hung buv rav: patlh Hut
> Classified Level 9 and Above

Most curious. "Security classification floor: Level 9." No
mention of "and Above". Not enough context here to really
understand this whole example.

>  tlhIngan toQDuj 'ey'mey tetlh
>  Klingon Bird of Prey Technical Callouts

New word for "callout". Of course, when you call out, what sound
do you make, eh?

> 1. So'wI' DaH
>    Cloak Array

Confirmation on {DaH} as "array".

> 2. Qum De'wI'
>    Communications Computer

Second example of {Qum} either as noun or as abbridged {QummeH}.
It would be nice to get a clear definition from Okrand.

> 3. lo' law' lojmIt
>    Utility Hatch

I can see {lo' law'} getting a LOT of use on the list, since it
has so many uses. {{:)>

> 5. Qum SeHlaw
>    Communications Console

Again, QummeH/noun?

> 7. 'otlh peng baHjan
>    Photon Torpedo Launcher

New word {baHjan}, showing that he, unlike us, can combine a
verb and noun to make a new noun.

> 8. peng baHjan tuj ghImwI'
>    Heat Exhaust for Torpedo Launcher

I think I just found the mistake voragh was talking about.
Unless, of course, this device gets rid of heat via political
maneuverings.

> 9. qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
>    Inner Support Stabilizer

We get a new word for non-military support.

> 12. Soj polmeH pa'
>     Food Storage

No replicators HERE.

> 13. chob'a'
>     Main Corridor

New word.

> 14. cha'puj pa'
>     Dilithium Chamber

{pa'} used for non-person-sized chambers.

> 15. De'wI' SoSbor'a'
>     Main Computer Core

Do I see a play on "motherboard"?

> 22. tel vID'Irmey
>     Wing Baffles

I'm sure this is a pun on something. I just can't find it.

> 30. tal SeHwI' nguSDI'
>     Cannon Control Motor

Motor. New word.

> 32. jopwI' jo'
>     Recoil Machinery

I'm surprised this wasn't {jopHa'wI' jo'}.

> 36. Saqjan
>     Landing Gear

Another verb becomes part of an apparent compound noun, though I
guess it's just a polysyllabic noun. No compound.

> 37. telDaq wovmoHwI'mey
>     Wing Lights

New term for "lights". Perhaps this distinguishes between lights
on a Christmas ornament, intended to be seen {wovwI'} and lights
which serve to illuminate something ELSE (wovmoHwI'}.

> 39. muD ngeb SeHwI' pat
>     Atmospheric Control System

Interesting that they consider internal atmosphere to be fake.

> 40. De'wI' Qulpa'
>     Computer Research Lab

Yet another verb becomes part of a polysyllabic noun.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Yes. Much to absorb and sort out.