tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 14:42:57 1998

Re: MO & the "Star Trek: The Experience" communique

: ja' Voragh:
: >Note, however, the interesting double locative: {loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq}
: >which I don't think we've ever seen before.  Interestingly, {qoD} "inside,
: >interior" only appears in KGT, which also came out in November 1997, the
: >very same month as the communique.  In fact, the author uses it twice:
: >
: >  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
: >  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant.
:
: I think this use of {qoD} is very odd, and it makes me suspect that the
: text here is *not* Okrand's work.  My immediate thought was that someone
: read KGT and said to himself, "Aha!  At last we have a way to say 'in'
: as opposed to 'on' or 'at'!" and used it in two places where I think the
: suffix {-Daq} would be at least as appropriate.

When did KGT first appear in the bookstores to the public?  If it was
available
for sale before the Communique was translated, it might well not have been
Okrand.  And the translator would have had to be a quick study, since s/he
would only have had the book for a few days before submitting the
communique to
Paramount... unless s/he got an advance copy from the publisher.  OTOH, if KGT
had not yet been released, then the use of {qoD} - twice even! - points to
Okrand playing with a new tool before other Klingonists learned of it.

: I must admit, however, that I can't quite figure out where to put {-Daq}
: on {quwargh tach Qe' je}.  I'd have to rephrase it and turn the name of
: the place into something other than a locative.

It's just this type of odd usage that makes me think it is Okrand pushing the
envelope a bit.  An established Klingonist would likely have played it safe.
Whoever did translate the Communique is certainly very skilled in tlhIngan Hol
and didn't feel constrained to capture every single nuance of the English
as so
many novices try to do, but felt comfortable enough to produce something
that's
a little "out of sync" with the English text.  We've seen Okrand do this in
the
SkyBox cards.

But as I said:  We've been fooled before.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level