tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 24 13:26:59 1998

Re: KLBC: 007

[email protected] wrote:

> Here's a "007" mission briefing I put together for practice. I hope
there
> aren't any or many mistakes. :-)

No mistakes would make it a useless exercise.  One or two mistakes per
line is a good average for a KLBC.  Fewer and you might not be trying
hard enough. More and you might be getting ahead of yourself, with too
many errors to learn anything from.  Yours looks right on target.
Well done.

> Datlh HoD - pagh pagh Soch - targh Qu'
>
> wa' Qu'
> Mission 1

To number things in Klingon "mission one"  "torpedo bay four"
etcetera, the number goes after the noun, just as in English.  See TKD
section 5 on numbers.  Here you should write /Qu' wa'/

> naDev vo' yIghoS.

/-vo'/ is a suffix, not a separate word, so it sould be directly
attached to /naDev/ with no space.  The spaces are a little hard to
see in the font TKD uses for the appendix, but there shouldn't be a
space there, either.

/naDevvo' yIghoS/

> puqHommey yItu'.

Check out the imperative prefix table on page 34.  Plural third person
object of the imperative requires the /tI-/ prefix.  The verb /tu'/
means find, observe.  Use it when you mean you just happened to find
something.  When you mean find as in seek and find, use the verb
/Sam/.

/puqHommey tISam/

> HIghoS.
> Come back.

The Klingon is not incorrect, but doesn't express the idea of coming
back.  You could add /-qa'/, saying /HIghoSqa'/ "come back to me" or
use the verb /chegh/.  /naDev yIchegh/ "return here" if that is
important.

> cha' Qu'

Again, /Qu' cha'/

> naDev vo' yIghoS.

Again, /naDevvo'/.

> vavpu' yItu'.

Again /tI-/ not /yI-/

> HIghos.
> Come back.
> HIghoS.
> wej Qu'
Same comments as before.

> naDev vo' tIDev.

Aha!  You got the /tI-/ right here.  Still /naDevvo'/.

> yIHoH'egh.

maj.  lugh.

Next time get these things right and make new and different mistakes,
instead.  :)

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."