tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 23 08:26:50 1998

Re: DuSaQqoqvetlh vIpar

---Dawut *Dave* <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thursday, August 20, 1998
>
> Greetings.
>
> Dawut here, responding to Qov's reply to my sentences.
>
> --Qov wrote:
> >Both /-pu'/ and /-ta'/ are perfective. Just as there is
> >no way the English verb distinguishes deliberate from
> >non-deliberate in any aspect, there is no way to show it
> >in Klingon if you are not using an aspect suffix.
> >Perfective does not indicate the completion/continuity
> >of the action as the sentence is SAID, rather at the time
> >the sentence is SET. Put it this way: if you said
> ><DuSaQ muvta' loDnI'wI'> and I asked <ghorgh?> What would
> >you answer? If your answer would be the time he joined the
> >school, then don't use perfective. If your answer would be
> >/DaH/ perfective would work, but the answer would be odd
> >since he has since also quit. If your answer would be some
> >time between his joining and now, then perfective would be
> >appropriate, but I would wonder why you chose that time to
> >set your sentence.
>
> vIyajchoH. I think I understand what you're saying. I see how the
> setting of the sentence affects whether or not the perfective is used,
> and if so, which of the two to use. This would seem to be best as:
> {DuSaQ muv loDnI'wI'} "my brother _joins/joined/will join_ the
school."
> Then my answer to your {ghorgh?} could be, {cha'Hu'}, {DaHjaj} or
> {wa'leS).

Right on.

> >If and when perfective is appropriate, choose between /-pu'/ and
> >/-ta'/. If perfective is not appropriate and you wish to stress that
> >he joined deliberately, then use the word /chIch/.
>
> chIch DuSaQqoqvetlh wIbupmo', maQuch.
> "Because we intentionally quit that so-called school, we are happy."

That works.  Perfective would also work here because you are happy
_now_ because of an action that has already been completed.

> >How about: /ghur jIHaDmeH poH/
> >"The period of time for my studying will increase."
>
> majQa'! pov mu'tlheghlIj. HIvqa' Qov pov.

DaparHa'mo' jIbel.

> >Editors of English will fault you for writing "I have more time"
> >without the other half of the comparative.
>
> By this you mean, "I have more time than ____", qar'a'?

HIja'.  QaghHeyvetlhmo' paq qonwI' vISovbogh qun lughmoHwI'Daj.
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."