tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 18 22:17:21 1998

Re: DuSaQqoqvetlh vIpar

Dawut jang Qov:
>> De'wI'mey vIyaj vIneH vaj DuSaQ vIghoSta'.
>> I wanted to understand computers so I went to school.
>
>Keep in mind that "I went to school" lit. "I have come to school" in
>English has the meaning "sign up for courses and attend classes."  We
>don't know that the Klingon meaning is more than "approached the
>school building."

Maybe {jaH} is better than {ghoS}.  TKW p38:

   When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends.
   may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'.

I think the ideas of "go to a battle" and "go to school" are parallel
enough to let {jaH} work in a sentence that means "attend" in English.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level