tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 18 21:55:55 1998

Re: Verbs of Saying

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:11:49 -0700 (PDT) David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> From: qe'San - Jon Brown <[email protected]>
> >After reading the above I couldn't help thinking about {pong (v)} again.
> >
> >It is repeatedly said that we don't know how the verb is used as we
> >haven't been given any cannon examples. I'm sorry for bringing it up
> >again but I thought, why isn't pong considered to be a verb of saying?
>
> We do have canon with {pong}, from Skybox cared S27:
>
> roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
> It [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply 'The Homeworld.'

Note that the name {juHqo'} is the direct object of {ponglu'}
while the object named {'oH} is the indirect object (thus
{'oHvaD}). This is not at all grammatically similar to any
examples of direct quotation.

> If {pong} were a verb of saying, the name would go either before or after
> the *sentence*, not in the *middle* of the sentence between {'oHvaD} and
> {ponglu'}.

maQochbe'chu'.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level