tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 17 16:07:11 1998

RE: (bom muchta' peHruS be'nal (was RE: Klingon Language Sighting on...

lab ghunchu'wI':
>ja' Holtej:
>> ...Supghew chu' peHruS be'nal. bom je, 'ach tlhIngan Hol
>> jatlhbe'mo' bom mu' vIyajchu'be'. (chaq ngeHlaH peHruS!) ...
>
> bom mu'meyvam vISov jIH.

> <naHvetlh chIS yIpub>

> This has got to be intended as meaning "boil that cabbage down".
> If I remember peHruS's explanation correctly, Mandarin Chinese for
> "cabbage" is literally "white vegetable".

wejpuH. A translation artifact from Mandarin Chinese makes its way into
a translation of a <Dap bom> from English to Klingon. Yikes.

> The "boiling wormwine" example from somewhere or other shows
> that it should probably be {yIpubmoH}, and I'd go so far as
> to suggest {yIpubmoHchu'} for "boil it down." A simple {yI'Im}
> would probably work better, though. I never expected that I'd
> find a use for that verb, but life is surprising sometimes.

Unfortunately, I really don't think <'Im> works here. <'Im> is glossed
as "render, boil fat", and on KGT page 93, Okrand says "the general word
for "boil" is <pub>, but the verb used specifically to the boiling of
fat is <'Im>, ["render"]". This just does not work for cabbage boiled in
water.

pagh

Back to archive top level