tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 18:48:42 1998

Re: KLBC++ : Questions on {jatlh}, {ghom}

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Dawut [Dave] wrote:

>> batlh maSuvtaHvIS maHeghjaj.
>  "May we die honorably in battle."
>-NOT CANON: My concoction, combining {batlh bIHeghjaj} "May you die well"
>(TKW p.71) and (bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj} "May you die in battle" (CK), with
>the prefix for "we/no-object" {ma-).

What you've written is a bit different from what you intended: "May we die
while *fighting honorably*." If you want to *die honorably* while fighting,
move the adverbial to the second clause: {maSuvtaHvIS batlh maHeghjaj}.  A
trivial distinction to Terrans, perhaps, but to Klingons...?

>> manajtaHvIS qeylIS qa' wIghomjaj.
>  "May we meet the Spirit of Kahless while we dream."
>-NOT CANON: prefix variation from "you" to "we".  I'm not quite sure where
>the original comes from;  anyone know/remember the source of {bInajtaHvIS
>qeylIS qa' Daghomjaj}?

{bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj} "May you encounter Kahless in your dreams!" is
one of the toasts given on QI'lop, the holiday honoring the Klingon military.
You're also thinking of another QI'lop toast: {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj} "May
the spirit of Kahless live within you!"  Both can be heard on the "Power
Klingon" tape.

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level