tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 12 09:09:05 1998

Re: KLBC - QInwIj Qav Soppu' De'wI' jay'!

: ---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:
: > > Our culture is being destroyed.
: > nughmaj Qaw'lu'taH.
: > (doesn't seem quite right to me, since the culture can
: > be destroyed or altered without destroying the society.)
: > yIn buvmaj Qaw'lu'taH.
:
: I like /nugh/ MUCH better that /yIn buv/.  The latter sounds more like
: a scientific classification.  I had in mind /tIgh/ or /tIghmey/.
: Think of TKW.
:
: Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

tIgh  "custom".  Some people use this for "culture".
 - tlhIngan tIgh "The Klingon Way" (title) TKW
 - "You outsiders see only our fierceness, our love of battle. You do not
   see the {tIgh}, the honor, that shapes our every act." [Gowron, in KCD
   novelization p.10]

nugh  "society (group of people with shared culture)" KGT

yej'an  "society (e.g. scholarly society)" KGT

Marc Okrand explained the difference between these two in HolQeD 4.4:

  An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a {yejHaD}
  'institute' or 'institution' or a {yej'an} 'society'. The distinction
  between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the former is usually
  --but not always--used for larger organizations. It is not known whether
  the first syllable of these words (yej) is {yej} 'council, assembly', but
  there could be some historic connection. Note that {nugh} 'society' has a
  much broader meaning: a group of people with a shared culture. Accordingly,
  {tlhIngan nugh} would mean Klingon society as distinguished from, say,
  Romulan society, but {tlhIngan yej'an} would probably be The Klingon
  Society, a group dedicated to the study of Klingons.

Yet another noun is {tayqeq} "civilization"; the verb is {taymoH} "civilize".

Voragh                            Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level