tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 03 09:53:48 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation, v 1.1

---David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> >purpose and intended audience (like modern Japanese or ancient
Egyptian)?
> >Trek graphic designer Okuda refuses to commit himself.  But however
it's
> >written, presumably Okrand's transcription does represent what the
text
> >*sounds* like when read aloud by a literate Klingon, like science
officer
> >Maltz.
>
> Or not.  Someone reading aloud something in English will sound
different
> than someone speaking English in conversation.  For all we know,
Klingon may
> do the same thing.  Or not.  I don't trust the presumption you have
made.

This is the presumption:
1. I say, "'eyqu' HIqvam. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?"
2. Maltz writes down what I said on a datapad.
3. Kruge comes in.  we hand him the datapad and ask him to read aloud
what is written on it.
4. Kruge says, reading, "'eyqu' HIqvam.  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'."  He
may pronounce it diffently than I did (better!) and stress different
words in the sentence, but he reads back the same words.

It's possible that the writing system doesn't include all the parts of
oral speech, or includes some marks that represent tone of voice or
something like that.  Maybe a Morkan speaker would read "nuqDaq oh
puchpa," the /'e'/ being something used only in speech and thus not
marked on the page.

The idea isn't that reading pIqaD sounds identical to speaking, just
that pIqaD is a method of recording language .  If it doesn't work
that way it doen't seem like much of a writing system. If you don't
believe the presumption, then you don't seem to believe that pIqaD is
actually a writing system.

What variations from being able to read back what was spoken are you
considering?
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian