tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 02 17:13:13 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation, v 1.1

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, David Trimboli wrote:

>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>>One can take "concise" too far.  In written communication, {Dochvam nuq}
>>seems a bit out of place, something along the lines of "whatsit?"  When
>>speaking, many imperfectly grammatical "shortcuts" are accepted without
>>complaint, but I think written text should be held to a higher standard.
>
>I was under the under the impression that {Dochvam nuq} was a grammatically
>correct way to say this, not an incorrect but accepted shortcut.  Perhaps
>Voragh will be so kind as to repost the appropriate passage from Okrand's
>post on the subject.

Actually, {Dochvam nuq} "What is this?" comes from the list of question words
with examples on CK, along with {SoH 'Iv} and {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'}.  Since
the tape is called "Conversational Klingon", presumable these are common
colloquial forms.  However, one example of the longer form is provided in the
discussion of (Morskan) dialect in "Power Klingon":

    	    WHAT is that food?!
    Dial.   sojvets oh nook
    Std.    Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e'

Here, the longer form seems to be emphasizing {nuq}, and perhaps a better
translation would be "What in the world is that food?"  On the tape, "what"
was "punched" (as the actors say) -- given extra emphasis.  The only other
place I could find an example of the longer {... 'oH nuq'e'?} form is, in
fact, our Morskan friend, Sentinel Kesla from ST6:

            What ship is that? ...over.
    Dial.   dujvets oh nook?  reen.
    Std.    Dujvetlh 'oH nuq?  rIn.

The short form may turn out to be more common on Qo'nos, while the longer is
used by Morskan speakers (albeit without the final {-'e'}.  And while
considering colloquialisms, don't forget:

    nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan?
    What is your number, Terran?

also from CK.  Okrand did translate "What is a tribble?" as {yIH nuq} on the
old MSN Expert Forum, which is what David is probably remembering.  Here is
the relevant portion of that fairly long post: