tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 10:35:19 1998

RE: yeesh. right. wrong. jISaHbe'! (was Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..)

bIlugh, Holtej. mu'ghomwIj vIghaj. wa'ben qep'a' vaghDIchvo' juHwIjDaq
jIcheghtaHvIS 'ay'vam vIlaD 'e' vIqaw. Huj wanI'mey wIqawbogh, qar'a'?

"It is gramatically correct to use the regular possessive sufixes with
nouns referring to beings capable of speech (as in {puqlIj} "your
child"), but such constructions are considered derogatory. {joHwIj} for
"my lord" borders on the taboo."

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: Holtej [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 1998 7:56 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: yeesh. right. wrong. jISaHbe'! (was Re: Correct me if I'm
wrong but..)

> When I call our new puppy "he" rather than "it", when I speak to him,
and
> "interact" as if he understood, I convey my high estimation of or
hopes
> for his intelligence. If I were to call a group of warriors SuvwI'mey
> (assuming I had a clue and a bucket to carry it in) I convey my low
regard
> for them.

No, all you would convey is the fact that they are scattered all about.
There's nothing derogatory about that.  I believe the only derogatory
inference comes about with the possessive suffixes, not the plural ones.
So, /SoSlIj/ is derogatory, /SoSmey/ is not.

If I am wrong (I don't keep a copy of TKD at work, can you believe it?),
please correct me.

>    joel anderson

--Holtej

Back to archive top level