tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 07:26:38 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

ja' Qov:
> << Okrand repeatedly and consistently uses the phrase "beings capable of usin
>  language" in TKD.  I'm don't believe he uses the word sentient anywhere in
>  the text. >>

ja' peHruS:
> though MO uses "capable of using language," he means "sentient beings".  In
> other places I have seen repeated explanations of what is considered actually
> capable of using language.  I am very sure that robots, computers, and many
> machines are capable of using language, though not with sentience.  They do

as has been noted before, this may be due to Klingon Computers, Robots
etc. traditionally NOT being able to use language; as language-capable
computers become more and more frequent, they may get their own word,
which takes suffixes {-pu'}, {-wI'}, {-lI'} etc.

> This is precisely what is wrong with taking TKD's error literally.

Qagh *MO* wej 'e' Datobta'.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]