tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 01:41:10 1998

RE: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

peHruSvo':

> In a message dated 98-04-28 13:52:51 EDT, charghwI' writes:
>
> << Sentience is not the issue. The ability
>  to use langauge. So, instead of wrestling with an arbitrary,
>  vague line between beings that are sentient and those that are
>  not, we are left to deal with the arbitrary, vague line between
>  beings that are capable of using langauge and those that are
>  not. >>
>
> charghwI' is outright wrong on this point.

What??

> Sentiency absolutely is the demarcation; the ability to speak
> language is not.

Everywhere in TKD that talks about the different types of nouns in this
regard, it says "beings capable of language."  Nowhere in TKD does it say
anything about sentience.  If you're interpreting "beings capable of
language" as "sentient," this is your interpretation, and is in no way
supported by TKD.  All charghwI' said was what is in TKD.  (Plus the
arbitrary, vague task of distinguishing members and non-members.)

How can you say that something straight out of TKD is "outright wrong"?

> peHruS

--Holtej

Back to archive top level