tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 28 15:19:45 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

SuStel:
> Pets, however dear they are to you, are still {SajlIj}, and they will
> continue to be so until all pets are widely accepted to be sentient.

charghwI':
: No. They will continue to be {SajlIj} until they are widely
: accepted as being able to use language. We may argue about
: where the threshold lies between being able to use language and
: merely mimicking it or suggesting it, but the point is not
: sentience. The point is use of language.

We do have a clue as to how Klingons view pets in Power Klingon:

  targhlIj yIngagh, yIruch!
  Go mate with your targ!

  targhlIj yab tIn law' no'lIj Hoch yabDu' tIn puS.
  Your targ has a bigger brain than all your ancestors put together.

  qu'bej QoghlIj.
  Your krol (?) is definitely fierce.

Note that {-lIj} is used for both targs and a growling {Qogh}, whatever that is.

Voragh

Back to archive top level